That’s our motto here in Sumner and we are Ag Pride and City Pride. Sumner is an attractive, growing community in Northeast Iowa, with some of the finest recreational facilities in the area. The Sumner City Park, North Woods Park, the Sumner Aquatic Center and Meadowbrook Country Club are just a few that we are proud of.
Sumner is located on the western edge of the scenic rolling hills of northeast Iowa
It is in the heart of rich farm land and boasts of well kept homes and businesses.
Its 2100 residents and those surrounding Sumner enjoy many benefits not found
in towns of larger size, such as:
- Mayor council government
- Municipal electrical service with emergency electrical generation
- Industrial park serviced by Butler County REC
- 500,000 gal water storage tower supplied by 2 wells -1,200,000 daily capacity
High pressure natural gas service provided by Black Hills Energy
- 4.2 million gal/day water treatment plant
- Public library
- Aquatic center
- Fire station staffed with all volunteers
- K-12 school system with campuses in Sumner and Fredericksburg
- 6 higher education institutions within 45 miles
- Refurbished downtown streetscape
- Several churches
- New Community owned critical access hospital (Community Memorial Hospital)
- Community owned 86 unit nursing care facility (Hillcrest Home)
- Community owned paramedic ambulance service (SEMS)
- Community owned refurbished only 99 cent movie theatre (Sunset Theatre)
- Professional services in town – doctors, dentists, chiropractors, lawyers, CPAs
- 9 hole golf course and country club (Meadowbrook Country Club)
- Walking/ biking trail, public parks
- Softball and baseball diamonds, volleyball, basketball and tennis courts, bowling, skateboard park
- Variety of retail and service stores and businesses
Our downtown includes many quaint shops along with the always 99 cent Sunset Theatre.
The City’s recreation department provides a variety of activities including baseball and softball leagues, swim team, sand volleyball, bowling leagues, tennis courts, community education courses, our beautiful Sumner Library, many fine churches and other events to keep all ages of Sumner residents busy throughout the year.
Education plays an important part here in Sumner. The Sumner-Fredericksburg Community Schools is the home of the Cougars. Our high school and one elementary is located in Sumner, while another elementary school and the middle school is located in Fredericksburg. We take pride in our children and their education.
Our most important resource is our people. Sumner is a friendly place to live and work and our people care about the success of our local businesses and industry. Another advantage to Sumner is our location, which is within 30 minutes of many larger cities; giving our residents the conveniences of big city living and the safe, quiet community lifestyle of a small town.
Come visit us… we are the “City With the Future” in Northeast Iowa!